March 2024

 Month Service Hours: 5

Total Service Hours: 12


After a very busy few months, it seems as if the program is quickly coming to a close. We've completed the Psychiatry module and it was way more interesting than I initially expected it to. Dr. Mostany taught most of the lectures for the module and it was a good change of pace; we learned a lot of different pathologies and treatment options for various mental health conditions like bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, and anxiety. It was interesting to learn how personalized many of the medication regimens are to alleviate symptoms of patients suffering form mental health disorders. 

 I have also completed all of my presentations for the semester and while it was a decent amount of work, I have to say that I learned a lot of information that will stick with me for a very long time. I was able to present on topics that I took interest in like racial disparities in the pain management of pregnant mothers, the repurposing of a current multiple sclerosis anti-inflammatory drug to treatment epilepsy, as well as the potential for a new immunosuppressant to alleviate autistic-related behaviors. My presentation group was also able to go down to Dr. Mostany's lab and see how they use the whisker puff on the mice to view the changes in the vascular response by measuring brain vessel dilation - it was really nice to be able to visualize a technique that we have heard about many times this year. 

Even in the midst of what felt like the busiest time of the program, I was able to get in a few service hours. I spent some time with the Anatomy and Physiology student that I tutored earlier this semester. Their midterm exam focused on the immune system and respiratory system. We spent a lot of time going over the information to ensure that they understood, so it was really nice to hear that they received a good grade. Helping them also always works out for me because it is a nice refresher since I'm still preparing for the MCAT this summer. 

We only have a few weeks left in the program and I look forward to many service opportunities in April! 

Comments

Popular Posts