Into The Thick of It!

Month Service Hours: 4 

Total Service Hours: 4

Christmas break was very short and we're back into the thick of it! It almost feels like we never left! 

Spring semester definitely has a different vibe as far as sense of urgency and time management. Last semester was mostly module exams and 3 advances presentations - honestly, there was plenty of time to get everything done. And while this semester may be less "module exam heavy", we have 6 presentations throughout the semester on top of things related to preparing for applying to medical school this upcoming cycle like reviewing for MCAT and finalizing a personal statement - Oh, and we can't forget about reviewing previous med pharm to prepare for our comp exam! It feels like you should be doing something at every second of the day so let's just say I'm getting my money's worth with ANKI lately. 

We've finished up the Endocrine module, which focused on diabetes and thyroid. Diabetes is very prominent on both sides of my family, so it was helpful to become more knowledgable so that in the future I can help to educate them about their disease and importance of compliance to their medications. We're finishing up the Reproduction module now; I have an interest in women's health so I'm enjoying this module very much! We even got do to a CBL on contraceptives with Dr. Lindsey and some of the statistics that we learned were very enlightening. 

I also got in some service hours this month! A mentor reached out to me to see if I could help another one of her mentees prepare for an upcoming A&P II exam at SUNO. At first, I was a little hesitant because of all my work, but then he told me that it was Endocrinology (and I was already covering that for class as well as in my MCAT review). In hindsight, I'm so happy that I took on the task because it really helped to reinforce information for my exam. We met for an hour each day leading up to his exam and I was able to fill in knowledge gaps and give pointers on how to study effectively; the added bonuses were that he got a really good grade on his exam and so did I! 

I prefer for my impact from service opportunities to be more widespread and community based, so I'm really excited for a February opportunity to spread some love and kindness by making Valentine's Day cards for senior residents at local nursing homes! 

Comments

Popular Posts