SpOOky Season!

 

    October has flown by so quickly!
    
    While I didn’t get around to my pumpkin, I was able to carve out some time for service hours this month! I got to volunteer as a medic for some of the weekend warriors of the world at both the North Shore Half Marathon and the Huey P. Long Bridge Run. It's always very fulfilling to watch people succeed at something that they've trained hard for but the best part is being able to help them out when they're not exactly at their best. Thankfully I didn't have many but my patient encounters included a couple of interesting things like an elderly diabetic's hypoglycemic episode and also patella tendon rupture. 

    As far as classes, we wrapped up the ANS & CV module last week (which did live up to its hype because the amount of material was actually quite wicked, lol). Even though the module was more of a challenge, it was definitely the most fun because it was almost like a puzzle in some ways. Determining which drug was administered based on its effects of heart rate and blood pressure along with its effect on other drug's actions was almost like playing a min game of Clue. It was also really cool to learn the physiology of ECGs; I've always had to do ECG tests during physicals on athletes, but I've never been able to understand the strips - but now I can! We have moved on to another CV module - covering treatment of things like congestive heart failure and arrhythmias - which is bringing everything full circle from the foundation that we built last week. 

    I'm also still working on exploring New Orleans and making the most of this year - I've gotten to cross off two big bucket list items this month: a Saints and a Pelicans game!  

    So while October has had its thriller moments, I have to say its been Fang-tastic!!

Service Hours: 7






Comments

Popular Posts